The Newfoundland and Labrador Women's Institutes first began in 1935 as the Jubilee Guilds. In 1968 they changed their name to the Newfoundland and Labrador Women's Institutes. Based largely in the rural communities of the province, the Women’s Institutes work to serve the leadership, education, and information needs of women.
In the 70s and 80s, some of the issues that the Women’s Institutes dealt with included day care, women’s employment, cottage industries, and community-related projects. They also worked on a number of joint projects with other women’s organizations in the province.
Today, the Women’s Institutes are still active in the province with about 44 branches.