The national organization of the Canadian Federation of University Women (CFUW) was founded in 1919. It describes itself as a “voluntary, non-profit, self-funded bilingual organization of over 10,000 women university graduates…(whose) members are active in public affairs, working to raise the social, economic and legal status of women, as well as to improve education, the environment, peace, justice and human rights.” The St. John’s, Newfoundland Club was established in 1945.
In the 70s and 80s, in addition to its ongoing work to provide scholarships to women, the St. John’s Club was involved with a number of women’s issues including women in politics, wage equity for women, sexism in school texts, and equal representation of women on School Boards. It also worked on a number of joint projects with other women’s organizations in the province.
The St. John’s CFUW Club is still active in the province today and a Corner Brook Club was started in 2006.